When you fill in a form, you provide us with personal data. You have rights related to this information. You can learn more about your rights or how to request access or erasure of your personal data on our Privacy Notice page.

Application for consent to carry out works in an ordinary watercourse


We will not be able to process an application if consent approval is required from either the Environment Agency or the Internal Drainage Boards; you will need to apply to them directly.

If you are not sure whether a feature is an ordinary watercourse or a main river, we can check this for you. In some cases we may request that you provide us with a plan showing the location. It may take us up to 10 days to respond to your query; however we will endeavour to respond within a couple of days. Or, you can contact the Environment Agency.

Please read through the guidance notes carefully before you fill in the form. These guidance notes are provided to help you fill in your application for Consent to carry out works in an Ordinary Watercourse.

If you are unsure about anything in these guidance notes, contact us using the details at the bottom of the form.
When making an application it is essential to fill in the application form accurately and provide any accompanying information, including drawings, maps and calculations. All submitted information, documents and plans must be clear. You will also require a valid credit or debit card to complete this application. As from 1st of August 2018, we do not accept any other forms of payment for applications.

Applications submitted without sufficient information or missing supporting documents or plans will be automatically declined and no refund will be issued.


Your application will be determined within two months of receiving a valid application. A valid application includes a completed application form, appropriate details of your proposals and the application fee (if appropriate). Any alteration to your proposals will reset the determination period back to two months.